Angela has spent the last 25+ years honing her ballroom dance skills
as a student, competitor, coach, and judge. Her love of ballroom began while attending
Brigham Young University where she took every ballroom dance class offered—receiving
either Honors or High Honors on all her Gold Medals Exams. While majoring in Secondary
Education - Biology Composite, Angela competed on the BYU Ballroom Tour Team; taught
beginning, intermediate, and advanced ballroom classes; and was a teaching assistant
for the BYU back-up (beginning) formation teams. During this time Angela began competing
Amateur Ballroom, Amateur Latin, and Amateur American. She was an Amateur Ballroom
Champion for 4 semesters and was the first Novice Ballroom Champion (when they first
started holding that level of competition).
In 1994 Angela and her husband Chris began competing as Amateur American partners. They travelled to Boston, MA to compete at the US National competition where they took 2nd place in Amateur American (taking second due to one mark in one dance). Afterwards they began to compete professionally, travelling to various competitions and placing in the top 12 and 6 in the nation. Their highest ranking was 2nd place in American Smooth. Since retiring as a professional competitor, Angela has focused on sharing her love of ballroom dancing with young people, as a coach, choreographer, and judge. She began teaching & coaching ballroom in the public school system at Independence High School in 1991. After one year she was hired at Farrer Middle School and started teaching ballroom dance there with long-time friend, Suraj Syal. They started an incredible ballroom program that then forced Provo High to add Ballroom dance to its schedule. After two other coaches came and went, Angela was offered the Ballroom Dance Coach position at Provo High School in 2000. She began by teaching just 3 classes. After the first MI2 Latin Medley won the Division 2 Latin Championship, the program exploded and 13 years later it is the most successful program in the state of Utah.
As a professional dance instructor/educator, Angela’s resume includes:
• Professional International Exams
• Associate Latin certificate
• Licentiate Ballroom certificate
• Provo School District Ballroom Co-ordinator
• UAHPERD (Utah Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance) Vice President of Dance
• UBEA (Utah Ballroom Educators Association) Co-founder and President
• NDCA (National Dance Council of America) member
• ISTD (Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing) member
An award-winning dance coach/instructor, Angela has received many honors including:
• Provo High School Athletic Director's Coach of the Year Award
• Provo High School Teacher of the Year
• UAHPERD Dance Teacher of the Year
• 11 State Championship titles!
Over the years there have been several assistant coaches, including:
This year our assistant coach is Hannah Carver!